Friday 4 April 2014

Spicy nut snack

I have been trying to lose a little weight and so have been aiming to have fewer carb-heavy meals, and up my veggies to fill me, which isn't all that easy on a budget. I don't want to skimp on snacks and I want something flavourful so I feel satisfied easily.  Nuts are a really good and healthy snack, although commercially produced nuts can contain very high levels of salt.  Plain raw nuts are better, but can get boring, and some types taste quite sweet which is not satisfying if, like me, you tend towards savoury snacks.

I had recently discovered an American brand of pretzel pieces which come in varying flavours, and had become a little addicted to the Hot Buffalo Wings flavour, so I wondered if I could add a little of that zingy sour flavour to some raw nuts to make them a bit more interesting.  So this post is not really so much a recipe, as a snack idea.

Firstly, do not buy almonds or cashew nuts or similar from a supermarket, unless it is close to one of the Asian big religious festivals, and your supermarket has a big World Foods section.  Try and find an Asian shop and get a much better price.

Next, pour about a jar's worth of the chosen nuts into a bowl.  I used a mix of almonds and cashews.  Redskin peanuts would work, not sure what else.  Some people make things like this with canned chickpeas which have been rinsed and left to dry a litte.

Add 1-3 tablespoons of hot sauce.  I used Encona original, I'm planning on trying Frank's Hotsauce and maybe ordinary Tabasco at some point. 

Now sprinkle on maybe half a teaspoon of salt.  Mix really well.

Line a baking tray with foil and spread the nuts out over the tray.  Try to separate them well.

Bake at about 150 deg C for about 10 minutes.

Remove and leave to cool on tray.  Pour into jar or other airtight container, and remember to scrape up any dried hot sauce and pour it over.

Don't eat too many at once!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment